My body clock is still all messed up and I'm awake at 3am and 5am here, hopefully I can go back to sleep for a few hours so I can have a productive 13 hour day here. I'm not really sure how these guys do it, 8am to 9pm every day with an hour for lunch and dinner. Factory work is crazy. When I walk around and learn about things I'm usually talking to Amy or Evya our translators/helpers, while they understand us very well I realize that the person doing the factory work has no idea what we are saying. The language barrier is at times impossible to fill.
The factory conditions are really quite nice. Well this is not to say I have ever worked in anything like this place, they all seem relatively relaxed and generally enjoying themselves. Faded jeans, nikes and designer shirts are all the rage and I'm amazed how trendy some workers look. I dont know what I imagined them wearing but some look like they are ready to go clubbing, but instead they are assembling some part of a ski.
The food is incredible. Hopefully in a week I will be writing the same thing, but its really quite delicious. I fill a small bowl with steamed rice and sit down a a large round table covered in food. Here my english speaking counterparts, all 5 of us, and a few cantonese speaking office workers watch chinese soap operas at maximum volume. There are about 8plates of food in front of you to pick off of and consume. none of the food is what I have ordered at Panda express or restaurants but its close, and so far I cant complain. I have a 2" long cockroach lying in the middle of my room right now, i'm hoping he doesnt crawl into my clothing bag, and my bed i suppose too.
After work last night while I was desperate to fall asleep Ken and I walked to the night market for a few beers. 6beers, 4red bull energy drinks, and a pack of some gummy candies ken likes cost us a little under 5dollars. People are outside everywhere at night. I need to go out again later this week and explore more at night but its overwhelming. Also the fact everyone stares at you is great and some kids yell in excitement of seeing a white person. I'm not sure where all the bikes with passenegers on the back are going, or what the guangzhou'ites do at night but I'm hoping to find out.
Eben and I may be off to some indoor skiing this weekend, we've both agreed to snowboard if we go. There is also an outdoor waterpark we are debating, all a few hours from our factory. I will also be off to the DVD store later this week, they just got Shrek3 in and Spiderman3 too, If i get bored I know what i'll be doing. Anyways its 5:20am for me and I better try and sleep a little more. My bed is very firm, pillow undersupportive, but the bug net surrounding the bed is made of expensive lace with ducks designed into it. Priorities
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
thanks for sharing your adventures. very interesting. looking forward to some pictures. Sounds like you are making the most of a wonderful opportunity.
Post a Comment